Z1A PROJECT

RED ZED
Bike: Original owner 1974 Kawa Z1A

Z1A PROJECT

Postby RED ZED » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks to Photophucket going commercial a lot of the pics have gone. :banghead:
However you can still read all about it :D

I suppose it’s time to get this ball rolling and post some details of the goings-on in the ZedShed for much of this year. The time had come to give the old girl ( no, not Mrs. RZ , the Z1A ), a long overdue rebuild.

Okay, first a little bit of background for those may be interested. Very briefly this is the story.

I purchased the bike new in Brisbane , March 1974 for the princely sum of $1865. She is a European spec. Z1A which has a few cosmetic differences to the more common U.S. spec. Zeds which were sold here in much greater numbers. Original colour was the Candy Orange/Brown/Red which was one of the two coIours available in Z1A’s.
All was going well with the bike until when it was about a year old , a pair of low-life scumbags decided that they deserved my bike more than me. They weren’t very bright scumbags however, and within 24 hours they were involved in serious discussions with a very alert Constable Plod who pulled them over for speeding and who was rather dubious of their claims to ownership. He thought it rather odd that a valuable near new motorcycle would have a freshly painted, rub off on your hand, matt black rattle can paint job, being ridden by two scruffheads with no rego papers, licences and false number plates. ( I told you they weren’t real bright. )

Anyhoo, I soon had the bike back with it’s rather poor new paint scheme. So, what to do ? Back to standard or go for something different ? Around that time in the mid seventies, custom paint jobs were all the rage, and the best guy in QLD doing such work was a bloke by the name of Rex Windsor. After Rex has finished his magic, the bike continued to carry this paint scheme for another 40 years.

As the normal demands of time and money and wives ( oops, wife ) and kids and mortgages took charge, the old Zed got shuffled to the back of the shed for more than a few years till it eventually had a well needed cleanup and roared back into life about 5 years ago. It scrubbed up pretty well for its age, but I always intended to do a proper job on it, one day, someday.

This is how she was 5 years ago when it first resurfaced into the light and had about 20 years of crud cleaned off.

Anything I say , may or may not have any truth or relevance , this is the internet after all.

RED ZED

Re: Z1A PROJECT

Postby RED ZED » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:25 pm

So it’s time now for the proper job, but what brought on this sudden rush of blood to the head you might ask ?
Well , for one at 41 years old now it was definitely looking a bit ratty. Secondly, just to bring the need a little bit forward, she took a little tumble a while back and was looking a wee bit poorly.

When I say a little tumble, no I was not dicing for the lead at a classic era track day and decked it at over 200 kmh, nor was I blowing the socks off some grey haired bloke on an slow old square tanker ( although I’m sure that would be a lot of fun ), no she came to grief in a service station where a shite -for-brains plumber who was too impatient to wait for the bowser to become clear while I was inside paying, decided he could reverse in as close as possible to the pump so he could start filling. Of course his eyes were in his ass and over goes poor old Z off the sidestand. I reckon they heard me in the next suburb as I commented on his driving ability and his parentage and his parents parentage and his grandparents parentage.

But as I said it did bring forward the need for the project and got me moving, and there was no damage done that couldn’t be fixed.
You can see from the photos that the paintwork on the tank , while it didn’t look too bad from a distance, was very badly crazed after 40 years and desperately needed repainting.
The tank received a bit of a dent, and you can see how the tank paintwork was starting to peel and crack. Knob broken off the clutch lever ( original lever, grrrr ), a bent headlight ear and a scratched alternator cover. Nothing serious at all really, but a pox on all plumbers anyway.

Stay tuned ......plenty more to come .......

Anything I say , may or may not have any truth or relevance , this is the internet after all.

gpz750turbo
Bike: Z1R Mk11

Postby gpz750turbo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Good read Rz... :good_post:
Feeling guilty are we after being busted?

Look forward to more installments. :popcorn:

RED ZED

Postby RED ZED » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:48 pm

I thought you might give me some curry over the square tanker dig, Dave.

Uh-oh, there's that word again. :doh:

RED ZED

Postby RED ZED » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Just a quick note on the cost of the damage from the blind plumbers efforts.

I've got the bike insured through Shannons under their policy for classic bikes that are only used on average once or twice a week. No kilometre limit, and occassional everyday use on holidays for example is allowed. Only costs something like $90 bucks a year for $18000 cover.

I gave them the other guys name and rego and they did the rest and claimed on his insurance company. I gave Shannons the prices for replacement of the damaged parts, including the price for Rex Windsor to repair and repaint the tank, ( which of course I was planning to do anyway, someday,one day ), and they paid me in cash straight away.

If you've got an older bike that you don't use everyday , a low premium like that is pretty hard to beat.
And you get automatic salvage rights if the bike is written off.

Zeek
Bike: Honda CB450 Basket case

Postby Zeek » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:51 pm

RED ZED wrote:I thought you might give me some curry over the square tanker dig, Dave.

Uh-oh, there's that word again. :doh:

Curry and square tanks.......they both give me the shi.....vers :mrgreen:

Well, not really, I can handle curry very nicely thank you. :run:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

gpz750turbo
Bike: Z1R Mk11

Postby gpz750turbo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Be wery wery careful you blokes....Or I'll hunt yous both down. :smack:

Return to “Kawasaki”