Z1 jigsaw puzzle

Wandy
Bike: '72 Z1 900

Z1 jigsaw puzzle

Postby Wandy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Obtained this 1973 Z1 in 1989 and disassembled it so it would fit into my shed. In 26 years it's amazing how bits and pieces can go astray! Always had the intention of rebuilding it, and now's the time. In 26 years I've forgotten many assembly details (no digital cameras back then to record stuff), so Red Zed's comments and photos of his rebuild are a brilliant guide!
As I go through this process I'll have lots of questions - hoping I can tap into this groups collective knowledge and experience.
Cheers,
Wandy

Zeek
Bike: Honda CB450 Basket case

Re: Z1 jigsaw puzzle

Postby Zeek » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:28 pm

G'day wandy, one thing we do have here is a few Z'sperts :D
That's a good looking bike! I like the paint work :cool:
What's your plan....back to standard or a re-build of how it is in this pic?

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Wandy

Postby Wandy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Not sure, Zeek, how the bike will turn out as I have no definite plans at the moment. First issue is the obvious damage to the fork in photo above. Is it possible/reasonable to get this repaired or is a replacement necessary (not that I've seen any available anywhere!).
Hmmm, I'd better resize my photos next time!

Zeek
Bike: Honda CB450 Basket case

Postby Zeek » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:52 pm

Pic size is fine...at least you can see what's going on, and it's hosted on P/Bucket anyway :D
Can't see why this couldn't be welded up and re-tapped. Be a lot cheaper than sourcing a used Z1 fork I'd think.....Depending on who you know to do it, shouldn't cost much more than the postage on a used unit?

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Wandy

Postby Wandy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:08 am

My only concern with welding would be possible distortion of the fork leg, inhibiting smooth fork action when assembled. Has anyone had this done and can comment either way? Anyone on the Gold Coast that can possibly do this?

RED ZED
Bike: Original owner 1974 Kawa Z1A

Postby RED ZED » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:51 pm

Good to se the project underway Graham.

I'm no expert on welding but I would think that your fork repair would be quite achievable without damaging the action. As Zeek said, it would be much cheaper than tracking down a used Z1 leg. And while new replica pairs are available they are also big bucks. Always best to keep the originals if possible and once repaired they will clean up as good as new.

I don't know anyone personally on the Gold Coast to recommend. I had a son of a mate in Brisbane TIG weld my broken original clutch lever but he did that as a favour at work where he fabricates hi tech gear at the University of QLD.

If you have a hunt around the industrial estate at Nerang or ask at any of the bike dealers there, someone may be able to put you on to someone suitable.

If no success there checkout RAD Hard Chroming at Rocklea in Brisbane. Their main business is re-chroming the sliders but they do say in their ad that they do fork restorations, triple clamps, shaft repairs, seals, springs etc.

Anything I say , may or may not have any truth or relevance , this is the internet after all.

Wandy

Postby Wandy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:29 pm

Cheers, Red. I'll send RAD a photo and see if they reckon its worth a closer look.

Return to “Kawasaki”